Tsumi and Beth asked me for help to spread the word about this. This is what we’ll be trying to do tomorrow night, one hour before the episode.
Do you miss the real Stiles? Do you don’t want him to become a werewolf? Help us trend #keepStileshuman just to simply show how much we miss our comic relief, our human element.
“Dylan really is, to me, what keeps the show so grounded. I really do feel— kind of like… it’s the mythology of the show; the emissaries are what keep the werewolves connected to the human world. I think Dylan is that for the audience. I think Dylan is that thing that connects the audience to this world, make it real to them, because he’s such a human element and aspect of the show, that you can really kind of identify with.
I think that identifying and being able to connect with him, you feel so much more capable of connecting to these characters that are someone in the fantasy world. He does such a brilliant job with that. I think taking Stiles out the human world would be like a big disservice to the show.”
- Tyler Hoechlin, Wolfsbane 2013 (x)
Excess of Liberty by imthealphanow
In a society where Weres dominate and humans are usually enslaved, Stiles Stilinski is bought as a birthday present. Derek Hale is a reclusive author who is part of one of the most well respected families within Beacon Hills, and is also the resident Alpha, following the death of his family.
“Excess of liberty, whether it lies in state or individuals seems only to pass into excess of slavery.” - Plato, The Republic.
LET’S TREND IT.
Remember how we were able to trend #moresterek bc there was a severe lack of sterek on-screen? Remember how we were able to make #moresterek one of the worldwide trends? Remember how MTV teen wolf twitter encouraged us to trend #moresterek?
Well considering the sterek fandom has been feeling nothing but hopeless, or doubtful, or upset or angry, we should yet again trend sterek on twitter, on tumblr and even facebook. Let’s show the world we haven’t given up on our #1 OTP of teen wolf. That we still support sterek and we we’ll always love it no matter what cyclone comes hitting our way,
Let’s trend: #stereklove
Let’s pass on the positivity, let’s use our voices together each one of us to make #stereklove yet another worldwide trend. For it to be seen by MTV teen wolf and the world.
We can do this alphas. We really can.
photoset purely for sterek fandom to remember and focus on good things. there’s too many positive and great things that happened for us to be upset ok. go and watch hoechlin talking about touching scene here. go and watch any hoechlin vid cause lbr, man is a sunshine. go and watch sterek vids. go and read fics. go and make arts. go check out my hoechlin/sterek tag, cause it just couldn’t be fitted into a photoset. go through your sterek tag. do all the good things, cause caring about any hate that’s happening right now can just hurt you. and i just don’t want anymore people being hurt by that.
I think ‘Sterek’ is a bizarre, weird, twisted thing. And I think that anyone who pays more attention to Sterek than the show isn’t watching the show for the right reasons. —
I am not in the Teen Wolf fandom and I do not ship Sterek but I did find this quote very offensive and wanted to address some of the excuses I’ve seen people throwing around to try to excuse this statement:
- Tyler is a nice guy who is just tired of being asked questions about Sterek. If this is the case, then he should have said NO COMMENT. Instead, what he did was answer a question that wasn’t directly asked to him. If he’s so tired of these questions, then he needs to let his co-workers answer them. Co-workers, which based on that interview, handle these questions a lot better.
- Tyler was correct when he said that Sterek fans aren’t watching the show for the right reason. There is no right way to watch a show. TV is for entertainment. We do this freely. No one has the right to tell us what to enjoy and how to feel. There is actually a fandom TV trope called “True Fan”. Research that logical fallacy to better understand how wrong this was.
- Tyler is a PoC actor who tired is of being outstaged by two white dudes. So Sterek taking the spotlight would be fine if the ship was being portrayed by two black guys? Also, Posey may represent a minority, but so does Sterek. And, in fact, right now, it’s homosexuals who are still fighting for their basic human rights all over the world. This is really mixing oranges and apples. There’s no reason why Posey can’t have representation and Sterek too. As for who is more popular, that is subjective and that’s not something we can dictate on any show. Outside of slash shipping, main characters getting upstaged by supporting characters isn’t new. It happens.
- There was nothing wrong with what he said. He wasn’t calling gay people twisted. That is up for interpretation. Let me give you this example. There is an actress Jamie Brewer (well known for her roles on American Horror Story) who has down syndrome. Let’s imagine that she was on Teen Wolf and part of a popular femslash pairing between her and another supporting actress. Imagine Tyler was asked about this and he said, “That femslash ship is just disgusting and retarded.” Would you have thought that this comment was only about the femslash ship? Or might you think that his word choice, especially the word “retarded,” had more to do with the actress herself than the ship? Likewise, the terms “weird” and “twisted” are often used to put down homosexuality in our society. Hearing them being applied to Sterek feels like they have more to do with the fact that the ship is same sex than it does with the ship upstaging Posey in popularity. This is what people are reacting to. The use of offensive, derogatory words that are often used to hurt the queer community.
- People are crossing a line by bashing Tyler Posey and making themselves look really bad. It’s funny because I just went through the Tyler Posey and Sterek tags and saw more hate aimed at shippers for hating on Tyler than actual hate on Tyler. The worst I’ve seen is people who are offended, and being offended doesn’t make you a hater. Go through the sterek tag right now. Scroll down for 5 minutes and you’ll see several hate posts about sterek shippers. So let me get this straight, fandom unites to protect Posey but fandom unites to bash Sterek shippers and you somehow think that’s okay? You’re either against bashing of any kind or you’re a hypocrite. And I’m seeing a lot of hypocrisy. If people have real hate against Tyler I’d like to see it. My inbox and submission box are open. Let’s see how much is there because mostly I’m seeing this as an excuse to bash sterek shippers.
I also want to stress a few things:
- You can be a fan of Tyler Posey while still holding him accountable for the problematic things he says
- Being critical of offensive statements, no matter who says them, isn’t the same as hating
- If you are going to defend the right of Tyler Posey to say whatever he wants, then I hope you’re ready to defend the right of the people he offends to also say whatever they want
- Just because this statement didn’t offend you, doesn’t mean it’s not offensive to others
- Just because this statement sounded like a joke to you, doesn’t mean it was actually a joke
- Blaming Sterek shippers for being rude to Tyler Posey doesn’t excuse this behavior; it just makes those who are rude wrong and Tyler also wrong.
- Just because some Sterek shippers may be rude, doesn’t mean they are all rude.
- Just because Tyler has been supportive of Sterek in the past, doesn’t mean he can’t say something offensive later on
- Just because Tyler says something offensive doesn’t make him a bad guy, just human
- Fans are allowed to be upset; it doesn’t make them any less of a fan
- We should strive to educate people, not criticize them for the sake of criticism
They may act weird towards each other, and they may care for each other in a bizarre way and yeah maybe they are just both a bit twisted inside, but maybe that’s just why they are meant to be.
AU: Derek didn’t do anything wrong, okay?! He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. And Chris Argent happened to be there too.
Okay, so maybe Derek didn’t have a good excuse for this one but he’ll manage. Somehow. Unless, of course, Sheriff Stilinski figures out Derek is dating Stiles (who just had to come by the station right now). If this happens, spending day or two in jail might be the smallest punishment. Unlike, let’s say, being shot by the Sheriff. It’s all Stiles fault - Derek wanted to be introduced as his boyfriend months ago. Preferably during the dinner at the Stilinskis’ house. Not at the freaking police station when he’s handcuffed to a bench. For something he didn’t do.
Derek hates his life.